Who among us hasn’t complained at one time or another about the stress we are under? Yet our homes suffer silently in the face of constant stress.
It isn’t work, deadlines, or family finances that cause problems for our homes. Rather, it’s the weather and the environment. Even common conditions like strong sunlight, rain, and fluctuating temperatures place stress on our abodes – and on the exterior paint that protects them.
Here’s how even ordinary weather can put strain on your paint and cause it to suffer:
- Sun. While most people are happiest on sunny days, the same bright conditions can wreak havoc on paint. That’s because ultraviolet rays tend to deteriorate the binder in exterior paint, in much the same way that they can harm the skin on our bodies. As the paint’s binder breaks down, pigment is released in the form of a powder or chalk that can wash away in the next rainstorm. The result is faded paint and diminished protection for the home exterior due to paint erosion.
- Moisture. Rain, snow, ice, frost, and even high humidity can also be hazardous for exterior paint. In fact, moisture in any form can cause paint to soften and swell, eventually leading to blistering, cracking, peeling or flaking. On top of that, moist conditions support the growth of ugly mildew.
- Temperature fluctuation. Changing temperatures cause wood and many other surfaces to expand and contract, sometimes dramatically. If the exterior paint that is on the surface isn’t flexible enough, this movement can cause the paint to crack and flake off.
Since we can’t change the weather, we need to do all we can to protect our homes from nature’s stressors. And there’s no better way than to apply a couple of coats of top quality exterior paint made with 100% acrylic binder.
Top quality 100% acrylic latex paints are stress-resistant in several ways:
- They are relatively unaffected by ultraviolet rays, so they resist the sun’s bleaching effects.
- They adhere well to the painted surface, so there is less chance of blistering, even in very moist conditions.
- They contain more mildewcide than ordinary paint, which helps prevent discoloration.
- They are tough and flexible, allowing them to expand and contract in the face of temperature swings, rather than cracking and flaking.
Yes, there is hope for those homes that are victims of stress. . .in the form of preventative medicine. Apply two coats of top quality 100% acrylic latex house paint, and your home will be ready for whatever the morning brings.