I’m as ready as the next person to call in a building contractor when the need is there – even to hand things over to a professional painter from time to time. But when it comes to interior painting, in particular, I’m always tempted to do-it-myself.
Interior painting is a perfect do-it-yourself project for so many reasons. Here’s a quick list of 10 things I love about it:
1. It requires little or no experience. With just a little input and direction, even first-time painters can achieve professional-looking results.
2. It unleashes creativity. Today’s vast array of paint colors and sheen levels gets the creative juices flowing like no other form of interior decorating.
3. It is a great way to re-style a room. Changing from warm to cool wall color, or switching from light to dark hues, can quickly and dramatically change any part of the home.
4. It makes any space more personal. All due respect to interior decorators, but there’s something special about seeing your personal vision come to life with a color scheme and paint treatment reflecting your own taste and aesthetic.
5. It can be done in stages. You can do the surface prep one day, the painting another. Even the painting can be done in fits and starts, as long as you don’t stop in the middle of a wall.
6. It doesn’t take long to enjoy the result. Start to finish, most rooms can be painted in a weekend; many small spaces in a single day. For all practical purposes, you get immediate gratification!
7. It isn’t physically demanding. Granted, painting involves some stretching and squatting, but it’s more like exercise than physical labor.
8. It is an extremely economical way to remodel. It can cost many hundreds, or even thousands of dollars to hire someone to paint a large room. But when you do the work yourself, painting is very inexpensive.
9. It is easy to obtain expert assistance, if needed. You can get lots of help from the staff at almost any paint store. More help is available online from paint manufacturer websites, home painting blogs, and PQI’s own website at www.paintquality.com.
10. It’s fun. That’s what I like most about do-it-yourself painting. Maybe the pleasure part is why I re-paint so often!
If you haven’t experienced the thrill and satisfaction of doing your own interior painting, you should give it a try. You’ll soon see why so many homeowners and apartment dwellers find it so addictive.