If your penchant for painting just can’t be suppressed by oppressive weather, think about doing some cool painting projects inside your home until the heat and humidity pass.
There are lots of fun ways to unleash creativity with paint. Here are five simple projects you can do in the comfort of your home. Each can enhance your interior and maybe even give purpose to leftover paint.
1. Paint a playful pattern. This can be done almost anywhere, on anything, or on any surface. The only limit is your imagination. Enliven an old piece of furniture by painting different parts in different colors – then place it in a child’s bedroom, a playroom, or as a change of pace piece in any décor. Or, embellish a wall with a “surround” by stamping or stenciling on a little pattern. Don’t fret if your painting isn’t perfect – there’s style, beauty and personality in imperfection.
2. Distress a piece of furniture. Take an old dresser, table, or cabinet and paint it a solid color, then wipe on another color randomly with an old cloth (the paint will be more “workable” if it’s diluted very slightly). Be sure to let some of the solid color show through. After the paint dries, have fun beating up the piece with a tire chain, hammer, or wire brush. To impart a more aged look, use sandpaper to remove paint here and there, especially on corners and edges.
3. Faux things up. Give painted walls a mottled look by dabbing on a second color using a sponge, rag, or even a crumpled paper bag. Before applying the new color, mix it with glaze (one part paint to four parts glaze); that will keep the paint “workable” for a while. Apply the color sparingly and add more as you see fit. Step back from the wall occasionally to make sure you’re pleased with the effect.
4. Add an accent. Spice up your interior with a painted accent area — a wall or two painted in a different color, or even part of a wall, such as a soffit or recessed alcove. You can even use an accent color as a backdrop to “accentuate” a treasured item. The result will be eye-catching.
5. Paint the unexpected. Almost anything can be painted, and sometimes, adding color in unexpected places can be the most fun of all. If you’re ambitious, paint a pattern on your floor, on wooden banisters and stair spindles, or on cabinet doors. Prefer to start small? Then add some paint color to flower pots, old vases, or picture frames. Almost anything takes on pizzazz when color is added.
For more advice on these and other fun paint projects, use the search function at the top of the page. Then just turn things over to your inner cool!